Metal detectors can make for a fun and enjoyable hobby that sometimes has big rewards. You do not have to just rely on a luck find something valuable with your detector as many people will pay you to find and recover lost jewellery, watches or other valuables.
There are a wide range of detectors on the market featuring different capabilities and functions. At the high end, the premium models offer all the bells and whistles while basic machines can get you into the hobby inexpensively.
Last update on 2021-03-03 at 02:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A metal detector is an electronic device which is used for finding metal objects in hidden places. It could be in between other pilled objects or even under the ground.
How does a metal detector find metal objects?
The metal detectors are equipped with magnetic coils which are meant to interact with the metals around. Therefore, the moment you place the device on the ground, an attraction between the coils in the detector and the metals available occurs thus notifying you the area to look at. Some of the metals detected by the device include iron, copper, brass, aluminum, tin, lead, gold, silver, bronze, jewels, coins and many others. A metal detector is a reliable device for finding buried metals considering that it can help you find different types of metals.
One essential thing to keep in mind though is that there are wide varieties of metal detector devices on the market to choose from. So, what should you look for when looking for a metal detector?
Other Metal Detectors To Choose From
- THREE AUDIO TONE WITH HIGH ACCURACY - Metal Detector has distinctive audio tone - a low tone, a medium tone and a high tone displayed on the interesting icon that can distinguish different metals; DISC modes helps you eliminate target categories and improve your detecting efficiency
- LARGE AND FUNNY LCD DISPLAY - Equipped with large back-lit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level and battery level, you can distinguish between targets and unwanted metals; This entry level metal detector is a perfect gift for beginners
- IP68 SEARCH COIL - 7.8’’ Diameter search coil and the stem enables you to use metal to explore under water, ideal for detecting on the beach or in the stream(NOTE: the control box can not be put in the water); Adopts a headphone jack(3.5mm / 1/8inch) so you can connect it with a headphone (NOT Included), which allows you to use it in the noisy environment
- 【Professional multi-modes】2021 new version metal detectors has 3 distinct modes lets in you to correctly search for the favored metals like cash relics jewelry gold and silver and so on and rightfully anticipate to discover it by switching among the regimes. ① All metal mode: notifies you on every occasion it sees any metal. ② DISC/Notch mode: permit you to distinguish the forms of metals detected and ignore junk. ③ Pinpointer mode: enables you pinpoint the goal.
- 【Ease of Maintenance & IP68 water resistant】The 10-inch big search coil can reach up to 8" depth underground, greatly conducive to detecting performance. This means that that you may freely dive with it and find treasures hidden from the eyes of most of the people. Additionally, this professional metallic detectors can be easily wiped clean and saved. (Note: the box is not water-proof). It works indoors, outside, seashore, garden, park, wooded area, lawn, sand or soil.
- 【Intuitive LCD Display & sensitivity adjustable】Massive colour lcd display allows you to get the detection dynamics at any time. It’s handy to get the form of metal goal, intensity of goal, recognition, sensitivity stage, operating mode and battery indication. (2-8) adjustable frequency ranges to eliminate interference. And we also come with headphones to minimizes any feedback noise from underground minerals.
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- FIND BURIED TREASURE – The 7.5” waterproof dual coil has adjustable sensitivity to help avoid false positives. The detector will beep and flash an LED light when it locates metal and has a detecting depth of up to 6 inches deep for small coins and metal objects.
- GREAT FOR KIDS – A telescoping arm provides length adjustment while a padded arm strap and comfort grip make this metal detector easy to use for kids of all sizes. Makes a great outdoor gift for boys and girls!
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – The detector weighs just 1.4 lb (0.6kg). With the coil folded and arm support removed, it measures just 24-inches, and extends up to 39 inches long. Use at home, or pack it up for easy travel to any of your favorite treasure hunting spots!
- 👣👣HIGH ACCURACY & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: 10-inch metal detector with IP68 waterproof search coil, it has a high sensitivity, it detecting depth of up to 8 inches deep for small coins and metal objects, larger objects up to 3 feet. Waterproof search coil enables you to use detecting to underwater, Perfect for outdoor, like beach, stream, and yard. (Note: the control box is not waterproof)
- 👣👣3 STRONG MODES OF OPERATIONS: OMMO metal detector kit has three distinct modes that make you can optimize from in detecting metals. ① All Metal Mode - the metal detector notifies you whenever it sees any metal. ② Disc Mode - you can utilize this gold metal detector to discriminate against other types of metal for a specific one. ③ Pinpoint – According to your environment to choose the different positioning strength, aids in the detection of metals by beeping
- 👣👣LARGE BACK-LIT LCD DISPLAY: Usually is used beach metal detectors for adults and kids, which equipped with a large back-lit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level, and battery level you can get information intuitively from the screen, which let you detecting more efficient and time-saving
Last update on 2021-03-02 at 22:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The sensitivity levels in the metal detectors determine the kind of metal it will be able to locate in that area. Some metals require highly sensitive devices, and there are those that get attracted pretty easily. For example, small metals like the jewels or even coins need a detector that has a high level of sensitivity since it is easy to find them especially if they are buried underground. On the other hand, for large items that are hidden underground, using a low sensitive detector will work correctly for you since the objects are easy to locate. Also, it is recommended that you buy a sensor that has flexible, sensitive options since you may need to use it in different conditions or even areas.
This is one of the best features that you should look out for when buying the metal detector. This is because it makes your work easy when finding pure metals on the ground. A discrimination feature is used in finding the right metals through identifying the responses from the metals on the area that you are searching. Every metal has its response when attracted by a magnetic device and therefore, this feature enables you to know the kind of metal located in that area by displaying the response on the gadget. Note that the price of a detector with this feature is relatively high. Also, when buying a detector with discrimination, check out the levels available since they vary in degrees.
How much are you willing to spend on acquiring a metal detector? Well, this should be the first question you ask yourself before you head to the shop to buy one. The metal detectors are equipped with different features, and the elements determine the price. Therefore, if you want a sensor that has all the above features, then you must be prepared to spend a couple of more dollars since it will cost you more as opposed to acquiring simple detector.
You may want a metal detector that can be used by the entire family especially when you go out hunting, camping or even hiking. Therefore, to make sure that everyone will be able to use the detector comfortably consider buying an adjustable indicator that you can increase in length for better use.
The area to use it.
Some metal detectors are designed for use in areas that do not have high concentrated soils or areas that are not deep, while others are made with an adjustable mechanism which allows you to use it in different locations. Therefore, if you know that you will be using the device in different areas, consider getting the adjustable one for easy use. Note that an adjustable metal detector will cost you more as opposed to the simple one.
Every metal detector has to have an accessory that notifies you when you get close to the metals on the ground. Some metal detectors are sold with headphones, and others are equipped with LED notifications on the LCD screens for the same purpose.
The features to look out for.
Radar is the feature that is responsible for determining the sizes and the densities of the metals available on the ground. This feature is mainly recommended for people engaged in finding treasures or gold on the deep levels of the land.
The metal detection technology.
The metal detectors are designed with different detecting technology, and therefore, you need to determine what you will be searching with the device before buying it. The techniques are grouped into three categories which are the BFO, VLF, and PI.
BGO is the most straightforward technology and detectors with this technology consist of about two coils of the magnet. It is an ideal for searching for metals that are on the topsoil or hidden on other objects.
VLF: This device is ideal for those who want to pick certain metals from the ground. It works by releasing frequency magnetic on the ground. Then when the magnet reaches to the ground, it moves until it comes across a particular metal, and then reflects the device. You cans setup the VLF to reflect only when it comes into contact with the kind of metal you are hunting for.
PI is a high-quality technology which is responsible for finding the metals that are deep in the ground. The technology can be set in a way that it will only pinpoint and alert you when it comes into contact with that metal on the earth. It is mainly used by people who hunt for treasures or gold in deep grounds.