Metal detectors can make for a fun and enjoyable hobby that sometimes has big rewards. You do not have to just rely on a luck find something valuable with your detector as many people will pay you to find and recover lost jewellery, watches or other valuables.
There are a wide range of detectors on the market featuring different capabilities and functions. At the high end, the premium models offer all the bells and whistles while basic machines can get you into the hobby inexpensively.
Last update on 2020-10-21 at 14:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A metal detector is an electronic device which is used for finding metal objects in hidden places. It could be in between other pilled objects or even under the ground.
How does a metal detector find metal objects?
The metal detectors are equipped with magnetic coils which are meant to interact with the metals around. Therefore, the moment you place the device on the ground, an attraction between the coils in the detector and the metals available occurs thus notifying you the area to look at. Some of the metals detected by the device include iron, copper, brass, aluminum, tin, lead, gold, silver, bronze, jewels, coins and many others. A metal detector is a reliable device for finding buried metals considering that it can help you find different types of metals.
One essential thing to keep in mind though is that there are wide varieties of metal detector devices on the market to choose from. So, what should you look for when looking for a metal detector?
Other Metal Detectors To Choose From
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- 💰【TRUE DISCRIMINATION MODE】- This metal detector can detect iron, zinc, aluminum, gold, copper, silver and more in all-metal mode. Press the 'MODE' button, you can switch to the DISC mode to eliminate the metals you don't want and focus on those to your liking. The crossed frame means item(s) that are eliminated. Two 9V alkaline batteries are required to run the metal detector.
- 💰【HIGHER SENSITIVE & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL】- The bigger the search coil is, the higher the accuracy. The 10-inch big search coil can reach up to 8" depth underground, greatly conducive to detecting efficiency. The WATERPROOF stem and coil(*the control box is not waterproof) allow you to explore in the water or on the beach. Definitely a practical and exciting tool for outdoor activities.
- 💰【MORE INTUITIVE LCD CONTROL BOX】- A control box with LCD display will make reading much easier. You can clearly know the detection mode, depth of the target, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level at a glance. An arrow displayed below the target icon indicates which object is hunting for. Compared to the knob and dial, button and LCD are obviously more intuitive to use.
- FIND BURIED TREASURE – The 7.5” waterproof dual coil has adjustable sensitivity to help avoid false positives. The detector will beep and flash an LED light when it locates metal. It has a detecting depth of up to 6 inches deep for small coins and more than 1 foot deep for larger metal objects. Requires 3 AA batteries, sold separately.
- GREAT FOR KIDS – A telescoping arm provides length adjustment while a padded arm strap and comfort grip make this metal detector easy to use for kids of all sizes.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – The detector weighs just 1.4 lb (0.6kg). With the coil folded and arm support removed, it measures just 24 inches. It extends up to 39 inches long.
- ▲THREE AUDIO TONE WITH HIGH ACCURACY - Metal Detector has distinctive audio tone - a low tone, a medium tone and a high tone displayed on the interesting icon that can distinguish different metals; DISC modes helps you eliminate target categories and improve your detecting efficiency
- ▲LARGE AND FUNNY LCD DISPLAY - Equipped with large back-lit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level and battery level, you can distinguish between targets and unwanted metals; This entry level metal detector is a perfect gift for beginners
- ▲IP68 SEARCH COIL - 7.8’’ Diameter search coil and the stem enables you to use metal to explore under water, ideal for detecting on the beach or in the stream(NOTE: the control box can not be put in the water); Adopts a headphone jack(3.5mm / 1/8inch) so you can connect it with a headphone (NOT Included), which allows you to use it in the noisy environment
- TOP METAL DETECTOR FOR ADULTS and the finest of the deluxe DR.ÖTEK line. The MT-XR is an exciting new addition for both professionals and enthusiasts. Offers 5 upgraded modes including Pinpoint Mode, All metal, Discrimination, Memory, and Jewelry. Innovative Memory Mode remembers one kind of metal and only detects that specific type. Locate exactly what you want in far less time.
- LARGE LCD DISPLAY has a big clear 3" x 2.2" screen that is easy to read. Backlight lets you work in the dark for a great deal more flexibility. 3 display modes to easily identify the type of metals you are detecting. Displays digital image and sound with multiple settings for customization.
- 9.8" WIDE SEARCH COIL is so powerful it can locate a quarter coin up to 10" underground. It can find larger objects at even greater depths. The coil is waterproof and works well in shallow water. Other detectors simply can't compare to the new state of the art MT-XR.
Last update on 2020-10-21 at 14:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The sensitivity levels in the metal detectors determine the kind of metal it will be able to locate in that area. Some metals require highly sensitive devices, and there are those that get attracted pretty easily. For example, small metals like the jewels or even coins need a detector that has a high level of sensitivity since it is easy to find them especially if they are buried underground. On the other hand, for large items that are hidden underground, using a low sensitive detector will work correctly for you since the objects are easy to locate. Also, it is recommended that you buy a sensor that has flexible, sensitive options since you may need to use it in different conditions or even areas.
This is one of the best features that you should look out for when buying the metal detector. This is because it makes your work easy when finding pure metals on the ground. A discrimination feature is used in finding the right metals through identifying the responses from the metals on the area that you are searching. Every metal has its response when attracted by a magnetic device and therefore, this feature enables you to know the kind of metal located in that area by displaying the response on the gadget. Note that the price of a detector with this feature is relatively high. Also, when buying a detector with discrimination, check out the levels available since they vary in degrees.
How much are you willing to spend on acquiring a metal detector? Well, this should be the first question you ask yourself before you head to the shop to buy one. The metal detectors are equipped with different features, and the elements determine the price. Therefore, if you want a sensor that has all the above features, then you must be prepared to spend a couple of more dollars since it will cost you more as opposed to acquiring simple detector.
You may want a metal detector that can be used by the entire family especially when you go out hunting, camping or even hiking. Therefore, to make sure that everyone will be able to use the detector comfortably consider buying an adjustable indicator that you can increase in length for better use.
The area to use it.
Some metal detectors are designed for use in areas that do not have high concentrated soils or areas that are not deep, while others are made with an adjustable mechanism which allows you to use it in different locations. Therefore, if you know that you will be using the device in different areas, consider getting the adjustable one for easy use. Note that an adjustable metal detector will cost you more as opposed to the simple one.
Every metal detector has to have an accessory that notifies you when you get close to the metals on the ground. Some metal detectors are sold with headphones, and others are equipped with LED notifications on the LCD screens for the same purpose.
The features to look out for.
Radar is the feature that is responsible for determining the sizes and the densities of the metals available on the ground. This feature is mainly recommended for people engaged in finding treasures or gold on the deep levels of the land.
The metal detection technology.
The metal detectors are designed with different detecting technology, and therefore, you need to determine what you will be searching with the device before buying it. The techniques are grouped into three categories which are the BFO, VLF, and PI.
BGO is the most straightforward technology and detectors with this technology consist of about two coils of the magnet. It is an ideal for searching for metals that are on the topsoil or hidden on other objects.
VLF: This device is ideal for those who want to pick certain metals from the ground. It works by releasing frequency magnetic on the ground. Then when the magnet reaches to the ground, it moves until it comes across a particular metal, and then reflects the device. You cans setup the VLF to reflect only when it comes into contact with the kind of metal you are hunting for.
PI is a high-quality technology which is responsible for finding the metals that are deep in the ground. The technology can be set in a way that it will only pinpoint and alert you when it comes into contact with that metal on the earth. It is mainly used by people who hunt for treasures or gold in deep grounds.