Metal detectors can make for a fun and enjoyable hobby that sometimes has big rewards. You do not have to just rely on a luck find something valuable with your detector as many people will pay you to find and recover lost jewellery, watches or other valuables.
There are a wide range of detectors on the market featuring different capabilities and functions. At the high end, the premium models offer all the bells and whistles while basic machines can get you into the hobby inexpensively.
Last update on 2020-04-01 at 20:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A metal detector is an electronic device which is used for finding metal objects in hidden places. It could be in between other pilled objects or even under the ground.
How does a metal detector find metal objects?
The metal detectors are equipped with magnetic coils which are meant to interact with the metals around. Therefore, the moment you place the device on the ground, an attraction between the coils in the detector and the metals available occurs thus notifying you the area to look at. Some of the metals detected by the device include iron, copper, brass, aluminum, tin, lead, gold, silver, bronze, jewels, coins and many others. A metal detector is a reliable device for finding buried metals considering that it can help you find different types of metals.
One essential thing to keep in mind though is that there are wide varieties of metal detector devices on the market to choose from. So, what should you look for when looking for a metal detector?
Other Metal Detectors To Choose From
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode.Larger objects up to 3 feet
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- ▲ADJUSTABLE HUMANITY DESIGN▲: the metal detector from 33" To 40. 6" Adjustable stem applicable to kids and adults. The arm rest design saves more effort, which gives you a comfortable state.
- ▲HIGH ACCURRCY DETECTING▲: you can tell what type of metal you've detected just by distinctive Audio tones. And the pinpointer function enables to pinpoint a target accurately. It also can ignore Junk metal and improve your detecting efficiency by setting the disc range.
- ▲INTUITIVE LCD CONTROL BOX▲: Ours metal detector equipped with large back-lit LCD screen to display depth(up to 7. 1" inches deep), operating mode, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level, you can distinguish between 7 target categories and eliminate unwanted metals. LCD Screen is very Intuitive and convenient.
- FIND BURIED TREASURE – The 7.5” waterproof dual coil has adjustable sensitivity to help avoid false positives. The detector will beep and flash an LED light when it locates metal. It has a detecting depth of up to 6 inches deep for small coins and more than 1 foot deep for larger metal objects. Requires 3 AA batteries, sold separately.
- GREAT FOR KIDS – A telescoping arm provides length adjustment while a padded arm strap and comfort grip make this metal detector easy to use for kids of all sizes.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – The detector weighs just 1.4 lb (0.6kg). With the coil folded and arm support removed, it measures just 24 inches. It extends up to 39 inches long.
- TRUE DISCRIMINATION MODE - This metal detector can detect metals including iron, aluminum, gold, bronze, silver and their articles in all-metal mode. Just press the button, you can simply set the target range (Up to 8 inches deep) or eliminate the metal you don’t want. Then, you can accurately find the certain metal you want. The crossed frame is for item(s) eliminated and two 9V alkaline batteries are required.
- HIGHER SENSITIVE & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL - The bigger the search coil is, the higher the sensitivity. The increased size of the search coil to 10 inches makes metal detecting MORE EFFICIENT. And the WATERPROOF stem and coil enable you to use our metal explorer underwater, especially suitable for outdoor activities, on the beach or in the stream. But it is should be noted that the control box is not waterproof.
- MORE INTUITIVE LCD CONTROL BOX - A control box with LCD will simplify your metal detecting a lot. The detection mode, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level can be known at a glance. An arrow displayed below the target icon will clearly tell you detecting an object. The depth of the target is also displayed. Compared to the knob and dial, button and LCD are obviously more accurate and convenient.
- ★ DISC Mode & Unique Audio ★ : OT-MD03 metal detector can detect metals including iron, aluminum, gold, bronze, silver and their articles in ALL METAL Mode. You can distinguish the metal type by unique audio and ignore junk metal by setting DISC range to improve the detection efficiency. 2 9V alkaline batteries are required.
- ★ LCD Control Box ★ : Turning off the light reduces your power consumption and makes the product last longer. The large LCD display can clearly shows the mode, sensitivity level, battery status, volume, and target depth. More accurate than pointer metal detector.
- ★ Pinpoint Function & High Depth ★ : After confirming the approximate range of the target in ALL METAL Mode, you can use P / P function to accurately locate the target. The volume level and display icon can determine depth of the target. The depth of detection up to 7.1 inches in PINPOINT FUNCTION mode.
Last update on 2020-04-01 at 20:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The sensitivity levels in the metal detectors determine the kind of metal it will be able to locate in that area. Some metals require highly sensitive devices, and there are those that get attracted pretty easily. For example, small metals like the jewels or even coins need a detector that has a high level of sensitivity since it is easy to find them especially if they are buried underground. On the other hand, for large items that are hidden underground, using a low sensitive detector will work correctly for you since the objects are easy to locate. Also, it is recommended that you buy a sensor that has flexible, sensitive options since you may need to use it in different conditions or even areas.
This is one of the best features that you should look out for when buying the metal detector. This is because it makes your work easy when finding pure metals on the ground. A discrimination feature is used in finding the right metals through identifying the responses from the metals on the area that you are searching. Every metal has its response when attracted by a magnetic device and therefore, this feature enables you to know the kind of metal located in that area by displaying the response on the gadget. Note that the price of a detector with this feature is relatively high. Also, when buying a detector with discrimination, check out the levels available since they vary in degrees.
How much are you willing to spend on acquiring a metal detector? Well, this should be the first question you ask yourself before you head to the shop to buy one. The metal detectors are equipped with different features, and the elements determine the price. Therefore, if you want a sensor that has all the above features, then you must be prepared to spend a couple of more dollars since it will cost you more as opposed to acquiring simple detector.
You may want a metal detector that can be used by the entire family especially when you go out hunting, camping or even hiking. Therefore, to make sure that everyone will be able to use the detector comfortably consider buying an adjustable indicator that you can increase in length for better use.
The area to use it.
Some metal detectors are designed for use in areas that do not have high concentrated soils or areas that are not deep, while others are made with an adjustable mechanism which allows you to use it in different locations. Therefore, if you know that you will be using the device in different areas, consider getting the adjustable one for easy use. Note that an adjustable metal detector will cost you more as opposed to the simple one.
Every metal detector has to have an accessory that notifies you when you get close to the metals on the ground. Some metal detectors are sold with headphones, and others are equipped with LED notifications on the LCD screens for the same purpose.
The features to look out for.
Radar is the feature that is responsible for determining the sizes and the densities of the metals available on the ground. This feature is mainly recommended for people engaged in finding treasures or gold on the deep levels of the land.
The metal detection technology.
The metal detectors are designed with different detecting technology, and therefore, you need to determine what you will be searching with the device before buying it. The techniques are grouped into three categories which are the BFO, VLF, and PI.
BGO is the most straightforward technology and detectors with this technology consist of about two coils of the magnet. It is an ideal for searching for metals that are on the topsoil or hidden on other objects.
VLF: This device is ideal for those who want to pick certain metals from the ground. It works by releasing frequency magnetic on the ground. Then when the magnet reaches to the ground, it moves until it comes across a particular metal, and then reflects the device. You cans setup the VLF to reflect only when it comes into contact with the kind of metal you are hunting for.
PI is a high-quality technology which is responsible for finding the metals that are deep in the ground. The technology can be set in a way that it will only pinpoint and alert you when it comes into contact with that metal on the earth. It is mainly used by people who hunt for treasures or gold in deep grounds.